Monday, December 1, 2014

Phunny Things, Phlaming Goats and SnowPhlakes

We had a good Thanksgiving feast. It was awesome. We had stuffing, tons of mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, green bean type of thing, “yams,” and chicken. My yam stuff was a hit. It was delicious. Everyone loved it so much. We also had cake and ice cream and cookies. It was so great. We were all very happy. Sadly, Sister A just emailed and said she spent Thanksgiving with no running water.

Here are some funny little things that happened this week.

1. This week I was on my morning run with Sister M. I look to the side of the road and see a dead goat being blow torched. 100% black. I saw it and screamed and sprinted away. Horrifying! Apparently it's some Igorot dish.

2. One of our returning less active families doesn't have a clock. So, on Saturday night they borrow Sister C’s watch so they know what time to come to church. They made it to church!

3. This week we were teaching someone and there was this really old grandma there. I open my eyes after the closing prayer and find her squatting about a foot away from me. What was she doing? Tinkling.

Our branch attendance is usually about 40 or 50 nowadays (counting 6 missionaries and about 10 investigators). Our branch is struggling quite a bit. There are some really great members though. People are very kind here and I will be sad to leave this branch.

Three of our investigators came to church. One of them hasn't smoked in 5 days so everyone just cross your fingers that it continues. He still needs to get married though. So, hopefully everything works out there.

Well, let me just tell you about our other investigator. He’s quite a handful. We had a great lesson with him on Saturday. It was probably one of the best 5 lessons of my mission. We taught the restoration really well, we had a perfect member present, we were asking him great questions, and the spirit was so strong. It couldn't have gone better. I asked him, "If you have come to know that this is the restored church of Jesus Christ on the earth, why do you then need to join/go along with other churches?" He was quiet for a minute and then said, "That’s it. Because I'm catholic!" We just don't know what to do. He is definitely receiving answers to his prayers but he is refusing to accept it because he is scared to leave the Catholic Church. At the end we all knelt down and prayed and he prayed very sincerely about what he should do and if he should be baptized and stuff and which path was the right path. We all felt the spirit very strongly. Then we asked him now he felt and he said he didn't feel anything. Most of our energy has been going to him lately. Hopefully he just softens his heart a little bit and gains the courage to leave the Catholic Church.

Last week, I think we broke our record of the number of lessons in one week. We were pretty happy about that.

It’s been sad saying goodbye to my missionary friends who are going home. I was so sad when I said good-bye to Sister T. Today, I’m saying good-bye to Sister D [been together since the MTC]. She’s going home this month. Luckily, I’ll see her at BYU.

Also, don't worry I’m not trunky during the week. It’s ok to be a little trunky on Monday because on Tuesday I go right back to working hard and only thinking about the work. Don't worry; we are very focused and productive.

I'm also glad I’m staying that transfer, but I do wish I could be home for Christmas. Oh well. You’ll be happy to know that I have decked out my apartment in snowflakes. I didn't have any paper so I had to use the back of various church talks and whatnot.

I think I might have some major culture shock when I get home. I haven't received travel plans and no one has told me to go get my x-ray yet. I think they forgot about me. I’ll just keep being a missionary here forever apparently.

Before you go home you have to get an x-ray of your chest [to make sure you don't have tuberculosis]. I do already know my stomach is clean though from that one time I had to give a stool test. Worst moment of my life!

Ok, on that note, I’m out of time. haha. Love you! Have a wonderful week! Good luck with everything!


I thought the little man on the caribou should join the nativity crowd.
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment