On
July 31, I looked down at my favorite shoes [crocs] and realized that I had
worn a hole completely through the sole. They're the best. Don’t worry though,
there are these people that go around and fix shoes, so I had a guy sew some
new soles onto mine.
Here’s
an interesting story. On Saturday we were walking down
the street and this guy comes out of this gross bar (he wasn't drunk though)
and starts to ask if we're Mormons. We’re in a kind of sketchy part of town...
we start to talk to him and tell him about the church. I notice that he is
dressed extremely well... fancy shoes, nice jeans, nice jacket, a fedora, a
diamond ring, and a diamond bracelet. We ask him his name and he just says something
super quickly. He told us he was an attorney but he refused to tell us his real
name. He also spoke to us in flawless English...very impressive. Then he starts
saying "I have to talk to you right now. I need direction in my life. I’m
so sad all the time. I have everything, but at the same time I have
nothing." then he just snaps his fingers and all of these guys from the
bar come to him and start saying "yes, sir. What is it?" they're like
his servants! They were just there to do his bidding. He tells them that he's leaving. Then he tries
to make us get in his car, but we told him we couldn’t do that... so he says we
will go to a restaurant and he will buy us dinner so we can talk to him. Since
we couldn't ride in his car, the only place within walking distance was this
crappy pizza place. We walk in and he just snaps his fingers at the pizza
people and tells them to get us the very biggest pizza. They just all
immediately start calling him sir and doing whatever he wants. We talked to him
for like 45 minutes. He had a ton of deep questions about our purpose in life
and stuff. We read several scriptures with him from the Book of Mormon. He
refused to take a copy of the Book of Mormon though. When he opened his wallet
to pay for the pizza I saw just a ton of 1,000 peso bills... he also gave the
pizza guy a huge tip (and no one ever gives tips in the Philippines). He
gave us his phone number, but refused to tell us his name, or where he lives. I
don’t know what to think. We will be careful. I think we might just teach him
at public places. He really likes us though. He just bosses everyone around but
treats us with great respect.
Our
investigators are doing ok. Something miraculous happened. One of our less
active members came to church. One of our other investigators wants to be baptized, hasn't come to church,
and the only contact we've had with him this week was when we ran into him on
the street and he was really drunk. So sad! The others are doing ok. Sister M is
continuing to progress. We found this family last week that seems really
promising. They didn't come to church though. We also got two referrals on Sunday, which literally never happens. I’ve only had 3
legit referrals since being in this area. One is a 13 year -old girl that
apparently has been coming to church with her friend for a while and she wants
to be baptized. I don't know if president will let her though because she's
underage and her only support system is another 13 year-old. Hopefully though!
Someone came to church yesterday with a member who is their neighbor. We are
going to teach her later today.
We
taught this less active last week. He’s the really old guy that gave us a bunch
of anti-Mormon stuff that one time. He started to tell us some things he's been
learning from the Baguio
Bible College.
He informed us that it has now been revealed that on Noah’s ark, all of the
animals reproduced very rapidly. Cats reproduced the most. So many cats were
born that the ship sank. We asked him how on earth he knows that and he pulled
out that scripture in John that says how there are other words or whatever that
aren't in this book. So based on that scripture apparently you can make up
anything and then say it happened. We tried to explain that that scripture is
talking about the Book of Mormon but he wouldn't listen.
It's
been raining like crazy. I’m never dry. My hair is ok…not getting worse. My skin
is getting better.
I
saw many gross things this week. I’ll share one thing. Dogs here eat plastic when they don't have
food so I see a lot of multi colored dog poop because they eat colorful plastic
bags... that's pretty gross and very sad.
My
testimony was strengthened this week through a talk called "The fourth
missionary.” It was a great talk. Also, my testimony continues to be
strengthened as I study about the restoration including the apostasy and all that
jazz. Also I read the chapters about the Atonement in Jesus the Christ
yesterday. We have been trying to focus on teaching by the spirit and teaching
according to needs. Last night we were supposed to teach one of our families about
tithing but when we got there we felt like we should change it. We shared 3
Nephi 13:31-33 and talked about seeking the kingdom of God
first. They were very touched and realized that God hadn't been their priority.
It's
time for me to go! Have a wonderful week! I love you all very much. Thanks for
your example to me.
We went to Mineview. There's an awesome view and then you can dress up in these Igorot costumes. Don't you think I look awesome! They tried to just give me this dumb little flower thing to hold. I said, "Excuse me, but could I please have the spear and shield?" Much better!
No comments:
Post a Comment