Monday, July 21, 2014

Candles and Phlashlights

Right now it is the middle of typhoon season. We had a couple of typhoons last week. They were both just signal 2 though. If it's signal 3, we have to stay inside. It's cold and rainy here. We had really crazy wind and heavy rain and the power was out a lot.

We had to teach quite a few lessons using flashlights and candles inside people’s houses. Also, walking outside on the street in the pitch dark is terrifying. We kept thinking someone was going to come and murder us and no one would see. It was ok though. Turns out I’m still alive! We got home one night and the lights were out. Sister T and I walked in the door and began to pray and all of a sudden we could hear people walking around upstairs. We convinced ourselves it was the neighbors next door... started to pray again then it got really loud the noises upstairs. So, we ran out of the house and called the district leader. Sister T says, "Elder C, I think there's someone in our house." Then, we saw a light coming down the stairs. We both screamed and ran away. Elder C was freaking out "What happened? What happened??? Sister T!?" Luckily, I looked back and saw that the legs coming down the stairs were white. Upon closer examination, we realized it was Sister Jackson. Apparently, they came home early because she was sick. haha.

Remember when I told you about the prospector from Toy Story that came to our ward? He came again yesterday. Apparently he lives in our ward boundaries. Anyway, he sat down right behind me before sacrament meeting started and kept talking to me really loudly. Apparently he's from Idaho and is moving back with his Filipina wife. Anyway, he was so mean yesterday! He was saying stuff like (all two rows of Filipinos could hear everything he said). "Isn’t Filipino food disgusting? Adobo is only good the first time you have it. This stuff here is just crap! Even the American restaurants here are gross. When I order a burrito, I want something more than beans! Don’t you just miss goin’ down to Arbys and gettin’ yerself a big ol reuben? and Chicago Connection pizza?" it was awful. He was being so so rude and condescending while all of the Filipinos are just quietly bowing their heads and taking it. So, I defended Filipino food and the Philippines a lot. I didn't agree with that gross guy at all. I think I won over all of their hearts. No wonder people hate Americans! It’s because Americans just come to the Philippines if they are missionaries or they are old gross guys that come here to get a wife. 
 
I have this weird problem where even when I see white people I start speaking Tagalog to them. My English is definitely getting worse. I used to think it was super annoying when I would read that on people’s blogs, but it's actually true.

Lately I’ve taken to cooking Filipino food at home. I made some delicious fish the other day (served whole of course). Sister T is a pro at fish since she's from a tiny island. So she teaches me how to make it delicious. Also, one of our less active members, made us this delicious crab stuff with coconut milk. We are going to try and make it this week.

It was funny earlier at our zone activity. We had a talent show. All the elders from New Zealand and Fiji and Samoa are doing all the awesome things like haka and whatnot…just super manly. Then a group of white elders got up there and sang a hymn. Quite the difference haha!! Our apartment made "awards" for everyone and announced it like an award show. i.e. best dressed, most likely to whatever... they were pretty funny. It was a big hit. Then we played volleyball barefoot in the rain.

Our investigators are ok. They are very slowly progressing. Brother D is doing great. He gets to church 30 minutes early and is super devoted. We are slowly still working on his family. I don't think they're going to come around any time soon, but I’m pretty sure they will in the future. We found 2 different people this week that seemed really great. They were both very interested in finding the truth and they really understood our message. I’ll let you know on any progress with them.

Ok..It’s time for me to go. Love all of you! Have a great week.





Having dinner with the Celeste family.
[Thank you to Sister Celeste for these pictures and for being so kind.]
 
 
From Sister Celeste--"The sisters are on their way to teach a discussion. I was so busy taking photos of the lovely flower, 'Midnight Queen.' I had to stop the Sisters and tell them all about this unusual flower...It only blooms at night and it has a sweet smell. When the flower fully blooms, it is bigger than your face."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment