Monday, March 10, 2014

Phood Choices....Bats or Burritos?

Last week we actually had a decent amount of work. My companion says it's the most amount of lessons she's had in a week her entire mission. We taught a lot of people. We taught less active members, plus we did a ton of finding and taught new investigators. There’s really only one investigator that was here previously that we still teach... I’m feeling better about things in Baguio than I did at first. Although, Sunday was very frustrating because we worked so hard last week and then no one came to church…Not one investigator and not one less active member.

However, I thought you might be interested to know that the relief society in this ward has a table display. Complete with a doily. That certainly wasn't the case in Sevilla.. haha.

Bad news about our investigators with a baptismal date! They were kicked out of their apartment because they hadn't paid... they didn't have any food or any place to stay. They asked us for money or if they could stay with us. We told them that was against the rules. Luckily they were able to stay with some family for a couple of days. We then did some service and helped them find a place to stay. It was the cheapest place we could find, but it is still expensive for them... it's an awful place, way worse than their previous house. They decided they are going to stay there in the mean time and probably going to move to San Fernando in about a month when their kid finishes school. So looks like Sevilla b can teach them.

Last week we visited Sister L. it was amazing. We asked her if she had prayed about Joseph Smith. At first she just kind of mumbled something under her breath. So I asked her if she had asked God if Joseph Smith was a true prophet. She paused for a long time and then just nodded. She said "Totoo daw siya" which means "he said he was true." I was astounded! No one ever recognizes answers that clearly. She told us that she had a baptismal date with born again but she wasn't going to continue. She wants to get baptized. Unfortunately, Satan just swooped right in there... she is going home this week for like 5 months. She said this was the last time we could teach her. We felt every possible missionary emotion during that lesson. Then as we were leaving a dog tried to bite me and luckily only got my skirt.

Also, did I tell you Elder Rivera and Elder Eagar (from my MTC group) used to be in this area? I sleep in Elder Eager's bed! Weird.

Remember how I said Baguio is so much cleaner? I think it's only my area. My area has mansions in it. Sister M’s area has canals of open sewage. They come back from work smelling disgusting. I guess Heavenly Father knew I wouldn't be able to handle that.

My companion and I are getting along great. She’s funny and we have a good time. We’ve been helping each other with the Tagalog (she's better at the accent since her mom is a Filipina, I’m better at other stuff because I've been here longer). We’re getting along well!

Love you all very much and thanks for everything! Thanks for the updates on current events. I literally know nothing about the real world.

Have a great week!

 P-day in Baguio. [Notice the sign on the wall.]
 


 
Don’t worry, I didn’t eat the bat. The bat smelled disgusting. It had an awful smell. Bats are super unsafe to eat. Even most Filipinos are repulsed if I tell them I saw some guys cooking a bat. I do hear they sell dog in the streets in Candon, though. That was illegal in San Fernando.


 [A couple of pictures from the early days in the mission]
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment